Subject: Re: bug#68235: 29.1.90; Switching tabs stops following process output in selected window

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 10:56:32 +0100

> OTOH, since there is a need to save more variables together with the
 > window configuration such as dired-filename and revert-buffer-function
 > anyway, maybe it would be possible to save the last buffer name in the
 > same alist?  Or the last buffer name should be used as a key in such
 > an alist?  Probably no.  It seems a key should be a window unless
 > such data is saved in a window parameter.

Note that the name of a buffer may change in the period lasting from
when you saved the window configuration until the buffer gets killed.
Any such change is handled by 'kill-buffer' but cannot be easily traced
when you save the name together with a window configuration.  You could
try 'buffer-list-update-hook' but that might be overkill.  And if you
saved that name in a permanent window parameter, you are lost anyway
because you cannot access the parameter in the saved configuration.

A similar thing may happen to dired-filename and revert-buffer-function
but there are hardly any suitable means to reasonably trace changes to
what these stand for in the first place.

martin