Subject: Re: bug#68234: [PATCH] Increase blink-matching-paren-distance by 300kb.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2024 09:01:30 +0200

> From: Antero Mejr <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 20:50:45 +0000
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I think we can at most double it at this time.  This is a defcustom,
> > so people can always increase it in their local configurations if they
> > have much faster machines and need routinely to cope with such large
> > parenthetical expressions.
> 
> If we're not increasing it that much, can we change the behavior to not
> wrongly indicate mismatched parens for expressions where you can't be
> sure? Patch is attached.

AFAIU, this will show nothing when the matching parenthesis is not
found?  If so, why is that a good idea?

In general, I don't understand why this rare situation should draw so
much attention.  Does this happen to you frequently?  If so, does it
happen with many files?  You could solve this either by changing the
value as a file-local variable or globally by customizing the limit in
your init files.  What I don't understand is why should we make
significant changes that will affect everyone, when the problem is
rare and affects only you or a small number of users?  User options
exist because no single value can ever be good for everyone or every
situation, so the right solution for such cases is to customize the
option.

Or what am I missing?