Subject: Re: bug#68227: 29.1; [tramp] adb stopped working (after upgrade from Emacs 28 to 29?)

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 10:31:50 +0100

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Maxim,

>> [...] the result of this function is cached. There might be something
>> unstale. Could you, pls, try to test w/o cached properties? That is,
>> call
>
>> # emacs -Q /adb::
>
> This is what I see in the *Messages* buffer:
>
> Tramp: Opening adb shell connection...done
> File error: Directory /adb::/data/local/tmp not accessible
> Wrong type argument: "Wrong type argument", "stringp nil"
> Tramp: Inserting ‘/adb::/’...failed
> File is missing: /adb::/
> Use M-x make-directory RET RET to create the directory and its parents

If /data/local/tmp isn't accessible (writable), Tramp has problems,
because it uses it as temporary directory on the phone. Pls check why
this doesn't work.

> I think this phone used to be rooted, but not anymore following a
> factory reset; perhaps rooting it again would have busybox's ls on it
> and make it work again.

The Tramp manual speaks about problems of the temporary directory on
non-rooted Android devices, and it shows also a recipe how to change
this. See (info "(tramp) Android shell setup")

Best regards, Michael.