Subject: Re: [bug#68202] [PATCH 2/5] gnu: Add target-x32?.

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 12:05:00 +0200

On Mon, Jan 08, 2024 at 10:20:36AM +0100, Simon Tournier wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> On Tue, 2 Jan 2024 at 08:29, Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > +(define* (target-x32? #:optional (target (or (%current-target-system)
> > +                                             (%current-system))))
> > +  "Is the architecture of TARGET a variant of Intel/AMD's 64-bit
> > +architecture (x86_64) using 32-bit data types?"
> > +  (and (target-x86-64? target)
> > +       (string-suffix? "gnux32" target)))
> > +
> >  (define* (target-x86? #:optional (target (or (%current-target-system)
> >                                               (%current-system))))
> >    (or (target-x86-32? target) (target-x86-64? target)))
> 
> Why not add it to target-x86-32? ?

It won't run on 32-bit only systems.

The preprocessor macro test is __x86_64__ and __ILP32__

I wasn't exactly sure where to put it, but ld.so --help gave the output
with the glibc-hwcaps optimization paths exactly like x86_64-linux and
pretty much every other piece of software which needed adjusting for it
stressed that it was x86_64.

There's a #debian-x32 channel on libera.chat, they might have some
suggestions about tagging it as 32-bit or 64-bit.  As-is it's currently
labeled as 64-bit.

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   רנשלפ םירפא
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted