Subject: [bug#68202] [PATCH 0/5] Add support for x86_64-linux-gnux32

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 09:26:13 +0200

I was reminded recently about a comment I made back in February 2017
about getting guix support for x32, aka x86_64-linux-gnux32, aka
x86_64-linux but with 32-bit data structures.  The idea was that by
using 32-bit pointers there'd be a not insignificant speed-up of code
execution¹.  I am uncertain how true this is, or which packages would
really benefit from this.

Interestingly,
%glibc-cross-x86_64-linux-gnux32-2.35/lib/ld-linux-x32.so.2 --help
suggests that it still benefits from our --tune parameters, which is not
the case for i686-linux's ld-linux.so.2.

¹ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X32_ABI

Efraim Flashner (5):
  gnu: Add support for x86_64-linux-gnux32.
  gnu: Add target-x32?.
  gnu: openssl: Fix building on x86_64-linux-gnux32.
  gnu: gmp: Fix building on x86_64-linux-gnux32.
  gnu: libsigsegv: Fix building for x86_64-linux-gnux32.

 gnu/packages/bootstrap.scm      |  5 ++++-
 gnu/packages/gcc.scm            |  5 ++++-
 gnu/packages/libsigsegv.scm     | 33 +++++++++++++++++----------------
 gnu/packages/multiprecision.scm |  4 +++-
 gnu/packages/tls.scm            |  4 +++-
 guix/platforms/x86.scm          | 10 ++++++++++
 guix/utils.scm                  | 12 +++++++++++-
 7 files changed, 52 insertions(+), 21 deletions(-)

base-commit: f2102cb5b9239be2ed2023b908b726af542e0124
-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   רנשלפ םירפא
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted