Subject: bug#68200: closed (Re: File local byte-compile-dynamic-docstrings:nil ignored (was: bug#68200: 30.0.50; Emacs reloads init file when calling `documentation'))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 18:00:03 +0000

Your bug report

#68200: File local byte-compile-dynamic-docstrings:nil ignored?

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
68200: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68200
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: File local byte-compile-dynamic-docstrings:nil ignored (was: bug#68200: 30.0.50; Emacs reloads init file when calling `documentation')
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Cc: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 17:59:34 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, Michael.

On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 04:28:32 +0100, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

> > You've almost certainly written your own patch for it by now, but
> > nevertheless, could I ask you to try out this patch.  I don't have a
> > convenient test case here.

> > diff --git a/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el b/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el
> > index 2bc8d54ba77..ad8d53d01e9 100644
> > --- a/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el
> > +++ b/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el
> > @@ -2605,9 +2605,10 @@ byte-compile-output-docform
> >  `defvaralias', `autoload' and `custom-declare-variable' need that."
> >    ;; We need to examine byte-compile-dynamic-docstrings
> >    ;; in the input buffer (now current), not in the output buffer.
> > -  (let ((byte-compile-dynamic-docstrings byte-compile-dynamic-docstrings))
> > +  (let ((dynamic-docstrings byte-compile-dynamic-docstrings))
> >      (with-current-buffer byte-compile--outbuffer
> > -      (let ((position (point))
> > +      (let ((byte-compile-dynamic-docstrings dynamic-docstrings)
> > +            (position (point))

> Yes, that's what I tried as well.  This approach seems to fix this
> problem here, so: fine by me.

OK, I've committed the fix and I'm closing the bug with this post.

> Thanks,

> Michael.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Subject: 30.0.50; Emacs reloads init file when calling `documentation'
From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 02:53:50 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I see this problem for a couple of weeks now, never saw it before:

When I made edits to my config file, any running session of Emacs that
has loaded this init file (including the same session) will have an
issue: any action that causes `documentation' being called with one of
the things defined in my init file as argument will reload the complete
init file.

This is a problem: it takes a lot of time and this can happen
repeatedly, often I have to restart Emacs to be able to continue my work
normally.  There are a lot of things that trigger the call of
`documentation' - not only requesting documentation explicitly, but also
things like `eldoc-mode' or cl-printing expressions.

I have not been able to find out why the behavior has changed.  The
reloading happens from C AFAIU.  Please help!

TIA,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 25, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version
 1.16.0) of 2024-01-02 built on drachen
Repository revision: c6125a87633131308dff74fb9a1006659c8611cd
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)