Subject: 24.0.50; revision 101009

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 00:32:31 +0200

Hello!

The configure script contains

	 3266	    # Define CPP as follows to make autoconf work correctly.
	 3267	    CPP="${CC-cc} -E -no-cpp-precomp"
	 3268	    # Use fink packages if available.
	 3269	    if test -d /sw/include && test -d /sw/lib; then
	 3270	      GCC_TEST_OPTIONS="-I/sw/include -L/sw/lib"
	 3271	      CPP="${CPP} ${GCC_TEST_OPTIONS}"
	 3272	      NON_GCC_TEST_OPTIONS=${GCC_TEST_OPTIONS}
	 3273	    fi

which introduces problems:

	checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc-4.2 -E -no-cpp-precomp - 
I/sw/include -L/sw/lib

but pkg-config finds:

	checking for pkg-config... /opt/local/bin/pkg-config
	checking for librsvg-2.0 >= 2.11.0... yes
	checking RSVG_CFLAGS... -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/X11/include/cairo -I/usr/ 
X11/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/X11/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11/include - 
I/usr/X11/include/libpng14 -I/opt/local/include/librsvg-2 -I/opt/local/ 
include/glib-2.0 -I/opt/local/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/opt/local/ 
include -I/opt/local/include/gtk-2.0
	checking RSVG_LIBS... -L/usr/X11/lib -L/opt/local/lib -lrsvg-2 - 
lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lgthread-2.0 - 
lglib-2.0 -lintl -lpixman-1 -lfontconfig -lexpat -lfreetype -liconv - 
lpng14 -lz -lXrender -lX11 -lxcb -lXau -lXdmcp

Which of the different versions of libfreetype and its C header files  
will be found at compile time and which shared libraries later at run  
time?

Why can't these lines in configure be simply removed? Those using Fink  
or MacPorts or another package management system for Mac OS X can set  
CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS accordingly. Otherwise configure could use, on  
Mac OS X or Darwin, --with-fink or --with-macports or --with-rudix or  
--with-homebrew or --with-ios or ... Anyway, Fink seems to be the most  
flexible system.

Another remark: Since Apple provides only an old X11 distribution and  
X server, from the MacPorts side come an installer package with a more  
up-to-date X11 distribution and on top of this often updated X  
servers. Of course this software uses libraries and header files from  
the MacPorts distribution. On Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) and Snow Leopard  
(Mac OS X 10.6) MacPorts are more important than Fink and others.

--
Greetings
                                  <]
   Pete       o        __o         |__    o           recumbo
     ___o    /I       -\<,         |o \  -\),-%       ergo sum!
___/\ /\___./ \___...O/ O____.....`-O-'-()--o_________________