Subject: bug#68183: closed (Re: bug#68183: 28.3; vc-dir fails when I have a certain branch checked out)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2024 16:44:02 +0000

Your bug report

#68183: 28.3; vc-dir fails when I have a certain branch checked out

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
68183: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68183
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#68183: 28.3; vc-dir fails when I have a certain branch checked out
From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2024 17:41:25 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>>   [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2024 16:36:28 +0100
>> 
>> ACK; got the attached at the tip of my emacs-30 branch, and my finger
>> over the 'git push' button.  Let me know if it's time to 'C-x v P'.
>> (And mark this bug "done", since I believe this was the last loose end?)
>
> OK, thanks.

Thank y'all; pushed, and closing with this message 🙇

Subject: 28.3; vc-dir fails when I have a certain branch checked out
From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 11:59:11 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I use vc-dir frequently.

When I check out one particular branch of my gdb repository, vc-dir
fails with this error:

vc-do-command: Failed (status 2): git --no-pager remote get-url . .

The only thing that might be peculiar about this branch is that it uses
another local branch as its tracking branch.

If I check out other branches in this repository -- ones that track
remote branches -- vc-dir works again.

In GNU Emacs 28.3 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.8)
 of 2023-09-23 built on fd97b702fbea4aa3b70f5e90b3f3f165
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201009
System Description: Fedora Linux 38 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --runstatedir=/run
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-gpm=no
 --with-xwidgets --with-modules --with-harfbuzz --with-cairo --with-json
 --with-native-compilation build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2
 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection
 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer '
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Compilation

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/bubbles-0.5/bubbles hides /usr/share/emacs/28.3/lisp/play/bubbles
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/dictionary-1.10/dictionary hides /usr/share/emacs/28.3/lisp/net/dictionary

Features:
(shadow emacsbug markdown-mode tcl m4-mode gud novice pcmpl-unix
pcmpl-gnu two-column url-http url-gw url-auth sh-script smie executable
dired-aux rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode facemenu nxml-util nxml-enc
xmltok autoconf autoconf-mode gnus-html help-fns radix-tree url-cache
org-bullets org-element avl-tree ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url
ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt
speedbar ezimage dframe ol-docview doc-view image-mode exif ol-bibtex
ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func flow-fill python tramp-sh
term/xterm xterm face-remap goto-addr log-edit vc-annotate mule-util
jka-compr find-dired texinfo texinfo-loaddefs find-file make-mode
log-view pcvs-util vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs
vc-rcs copyright pulse ffap scheme mailalias dabbrev supercite regi
mail-hist ggtags hippie-exp etags fileloop generator xref project
bug-reference vc-git cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
smerge-mode diff diff-mode shr-color mm-archive sort smiley gnus-cite
mail-extr qp gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table misearch
multi-isearch gnus-topic nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 gnutls
network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp
gnus-cache gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo smtpmail
sendmail gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr add-log flyspell ispell
diminish projectile ibuf-macs pcase edmacro kmacro grep compile
text-property-search ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs dash appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
pcomplete parse-time ls-lisp which-func imenu minimap autorevert
filenotify cus-load erc-track erc-match erc-services erc-networks
erc-hl-nicks easy-mmode color erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp wid-edit
erc-goodies erc erc-backend iso8601 time-date thingatpt pp format-spec
erc-loaddefs comp comp-cstr rx cl-extra help-mode warnings advice vc-dir
ewoc vc vc-dispatcher cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
ange-ftp comint ansi-color ring server savehist clang-rename
clang-include-fixer let-alist clang-format xml finder-inf
gdb-shell-autoloads lisppaste-autoloads pydoc-info-autoloads info-look
info cl weblogger-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2511390 280777)
 (symbols 48 68379 41)
 (strings 32 200925 47137)
 (string-bytes 1 9410331)
 (vectors 16 109364)
 (vector-slots 8 3054321 332806)
 (floats 8 532 632)
 (intervals 56 469509 4701)
 (buffers 992 1022))