Subject: Re: bug#68183: 28.3; vc-dir fails when I have a certain branch checked out

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2024 09:15:06 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> A NEWS entry is probably OK, though I'd like to see it first.

Please find a draft attached.  Lifted the "upstream branch" definition
from the horse's mouth, i.e. gitglossary(7), adjusting for VC relevance,
i.e. "where vc-pull fetches".

(Agonized a bit over how to typeset "VC-dir buffers"; went with that
spelling because a bunch of vc-dir.el deffaces use "VC-dir".

*5 seconds later*

But I now realize etc/NEWSes also use "VC Dired", "VC-dired", "vc-dir
for <backend>", "*vc-dir*", "VC directory mode", vc-dir-mode, and "VC
directory buffer", so maybe I oughtn't worry so much?

*5 seconds later*

💡 Ah, well, guess I could follow The Fine Manual's nomenclature?
Changed to "VC Directory buffers", per '(emacs) VC Directory Mode'.
Kept the shorthand for the ChangeLog message for brevity)

In another subthread, Sean Whitton <[email-masked]> writes:

> (I did s/find some use/find use/ in your log message because it seemed
> more(?) grammatical.  Now I read it again, I'm not sure that is true.
> I hope this is okay with you.  It's a very small change.)

(Can't attest to grammaticality, but AFAICT you ditched a weasel word
and reduced noise, and that's quite OK, thanks!)

>From 6c918ded7ebded709550dd87ce3e0e1688c7446a Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: =?UTF-8?q?K=C3=A9vin=20Le=20Gouguec?= <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2024 08:34:03 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] ; * etc/NEWS: Announce VC-dir "Tracking" header. (bug#68183)

---
 etc/NEWS | 10 ++++++++++
 1 file changed, 10 insertions(+)

diff --git a/etc/NEWS b/etc/NEWS
index 98eca7b8061..1fb23554f59 100644
--- a/etc/NEWS
+++ b/etc/NEWS
@@ -1017,6 +1017,16 @@ behavior, set user option 'vc-annotate-use-short-revision' to nil.
 *** New user option 'vc-git-file-name-changes-switches'.
 It allows tweaking the thresholds for rename and copy detection.
 
+---
+*** VC Directory buffers now display the upstream branch in Git repositories.
+The "upstream branch" is the branch 'vc-pull' fetches changes from by
+default.  In Git terms, the upstream branch of branch B is determined by
+configuration variables branch.B.remote and branch.B.merge.
+
+When these configuration variables are set for the current branch, the
+VC Directory buffer will show the corresponding upstream branch under
+the "Tracking" header.
+
 ** Diff mode
 
 ---
-- 
2.46.0