Subject: bug#68183: 28.3; vc-dir fails when I have a certain branch checked out

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2024 04:32:40 +0300

Hi Kevin,

On 07/08/2024 17:25, Kévin Le Gouguec wrote:
> Heya,
> 
> Have spent cycles on this on-and-off these past few months; finally have
> something worth discussing, I think 🤞
> 
> To recap where we stand, AFAIU: the reported vc-dir bug has been fixed
> (in time for the emacs-30 branch), but the changes could feel intrusive,
> since a new vc-dir header was added ("Tracking") that some users may not
> care for.

I haven't looked at the patch in detail, but FWIW the new header feels 
like a minor enough detail to not be annoying (or even noticeable) when 
you don't want it, but it's good to have when you do need that info.

This is my impression after having that feature around for a few months 
since it's been introduced anyway.

Just a data point. Not to imply that the code couldn't be improved, or 
that the new option can't be useful.