Subject: bug#68179: Re: automake-1.16j on OpenBSD

From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2024 16:37:32 -0600

I pushed Bogdan's patches. Listing several functions to look for in
(lib)objc in multiple places doesn't seem ideal, but factoring that out
doesn't seem easy either.

strip -x: no problem.

The general issue:

The AC_PROG_OBJCXX macro already tries to compile a trivial program (of
course), but the test program appears to be valid C++ as well as
ObjC++. What I see in my config.log for, say t/objcxx-deps, is:

| int
| main (void)
| {
| 
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }

That empty line with the ; looks suspicious, but I didn't try to track
it down. (Objc++ is somehow not working with autoconf/automake on my
system, even though it works from the command line. I also see nothing
about Objective anything when I rerun configure. I also seem to vaguely
recall some bug report about this.)

Anyway, I see the objc*.sh automake tests use an #import command to make
the test files valid Objective C(++) but not invalid C(++). I'm not sure
if it makes sense for autoconf to do that, or use some other
Objective-specific construct. Or if that's already happening and I'm
just in some misconfigured situation. --thanks, karl.