Subject: Re: [bug#68179] Re: automake-1.16j on OpenBSD

From: Bogdan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 22:18:22 +0100

Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>, 2024-02-19 01:33:
> Hello Bogdan,
>
> Thank you for dealing with the Automake support.

  Thank you for testing :)

>> 2) t/strip2 - could you check if you have the STRIPPROG environment
>> variable set and, if yes, unset it (or, at least, remove the
>> "--verbose" parameter from it) prior to running the test?
>
> I did not have the STRIPPROG environment variable set.

  Right. Going through the logs, through various variables, up a few
levels, this finally leads to the line

	./configure --prefix="$(pwd)/inst" STRIP='strip --verbose'

  in the test itself, and the test's description:

# Ensure install-strip works when STRIP consists of more than one word.
# This test needs GNU binutils strip.  See sister test 'strip3.sh'.

  And, frankly, I don't know what to do about this. It's the whole
point of the test to use 'strip --verbose' (well, 'strip' + any word,
actually). Fortunately, doesn't look like a bug in Automake itself.

  Perhaps we can test with some other option. Is there some useful
command-line option that your 'strip' accepts, while still performing
its work? Like neither --help nor --version?
  Come to think of it, we're not testing if the files actually got
installed, so maybe --help or --version would do after all. If you
change the above line to

	./configure --prefix="$(pwd)/inst" STRIP='strip --help'

  does the test pass? (You can choose --version as well, I guess.). If
not, any other option you may suggest? We could then re-write the test
a bit to say if 'strip --verbose' works, use that. If not, try --help.

>> 3) t/yacc-mix-c-cxx - can you apply the attached patch and re-run the
>> test?
>
> With the patch, the test succeeds.

  Good to hear.

> Note, however, that 'defined __sun' is not an appropriate test for
> Sun C++ (since g++ also exists on Solaris). For compiler predefined
> macros, see here:
> https://github.com/cpredef/predef/blob/master/Compilers.md

  The question is if we want to detect the compiler or the operating
system. I'm toying around with a SunOS with GCC installed, I'm using
__sun and some of the tests that previously failed, now work. At least
with GCC. But thanks for the reference anyway - if we need something
specific to the Sun compiler, we'll know where to look.

--
Regards - Bogdan ('bogdro') D.                 (GNU/Linux & FreeDOS)
X86 assembly (DOS, GNU/Linux):    http://bogdro.evai.pl/index-en.php
Soft(EN): http://bogdro.evai.pl/soft  http://bogdro.evai.pl/soft4asm
www.Xiph.org  www.TorProject.org  www.LibreOffice.org  www.GnuPG.org