Subject: bug#68111: closed (Re: bug#68111: 30.0.50; backward-kill-word too eager in cc-mode)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2024 11:46:02 +0000

Your bug report

#68111: 30.0.50; backward-kill-word too eager in cc-mode

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
68111: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68111
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#68111: 30.0.50; backward-kill-word too eager in cc-mode
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: Platon Pronko <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 11:45:29 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, Platon.

On Wed, Jan 03, 2024 at 20:15:46 +0500, Platon Pronko wrote:
> On 2023-12-31 16:15, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > I've committed a fix for the bug to the master branch of the repository.
> > Would you please update your copy of Emacs, test the fix, then either
> > confirm the fix is complete, or say what is still not working.  Then we
> > can close the bug.

> > Happy New Year!

> Thank you! I've tested the fix, it works for me.

Thanks for the testing.  I'm closing the bug with this post.

> -- 
> Best regards,
> Platon Pronko
> PGP 2A62D77A7A2CB94E

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Subject: 30.0.50; backward-kill-word too eager in cc-mode
From: Platon Pronko <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 21:23:54 +0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In cc-mode (C lang files) calling backward-kill-word seems to be too eager. For example, given the following file and cursor position:

```
int main() {
   printf("alpha beta gamma<cursor>
}
```

calling backward-kill-word results in

```
int main() {
   <cursor>
}
```

while the expected result is probably:

```
int main() {
   printf("alpha beta <cursor>
}
```

It seems that this is a regression in commit dae8aab52874441a70a94435d50f25b27301d9b0, by Alan Mackenzie on 2023-06-21.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.39, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2023-12-29 built on the-big-maker
Repository revision: ea3d211f3f7ecc5b59d5affc1aed812a2ded62b0
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101010
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
  --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
  --with-modules --without-m17n-flt --without-gconf
  --with-native-compilation=no --with-xinput2 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
  --without-xaw3d --with-sound=no --with-tree-sitter --without-gpm
  --without-compress-install
  '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
  'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
  -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
  -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
  LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11
XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_TIME: en_SE.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C/*l

Minor modes in effect:
   rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
   global-git-gutter-mode: t
   global-git-commit-mode: t
   magit-auto-revert-mode: t
   counsel-mode: t
   ivy-mode: t
   global-whitespace-mode: t
   whitespace-mode: t
   global-dvorak-mode: t
   dvorak-minor-mode: t
   global-auto-revert-mode: t
   global-so-long-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/platon/.emacs.d/elpa/lispy-20230314.1738/elpa hides /home/platon/.emacs.d/elpa/ivy-20231025.2311/elpa
/home/platon/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20231216.1908/transient hides /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/transient
/home/platon/.emacs.d/elpa/less-css-mode-20161001.453/less-css-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/textmodes/less-css-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug smartparens-c cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
rainbow-delimiters ol-w3m ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info org-habit
org-agenda org-element org-persist org-id avl-tree org-refile ol-gnus
nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig
gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win ol-eww eww url-queue shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml
dom mm-url gnus nnheader range ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode
exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ucs-normalize dabbrev lispy lispy-inline
avy etags fileloop generator edebug debug backtrace help-fns radix-tree
lispy-tags mode-local zoutline tramp trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-message tramp-compat parse-time iso8601 tramp-loaddefs lpr
smartparens-rust rust-utils rust-mode rust-rustfmt rust-playpen
rust-compile rust-cargo flymake warnings lsp-pyright lsp lsp-mode
lsp-protocol tree-widget wid-edit spinner network-stream nsm
smartparens-markdown markdown-mode inline ht f s ewoc company-box
company-box-doc frame-local company-box-icons company git-gutter-fringe
fringe-helper git-gutter magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode git-commit
log-edit message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived
epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor
shell server magit-mode transient magit-git magit-base magit-section
cursor-sensor crm compat org-archive smartparens-org org ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities time-date
noutline outline icons ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table
ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs counsel xdg xref
project dired dired-loaddefs compile text-property-search comint
ansi-osc ansi-color swiper ivy delsel ivy-faces ivy-overlay colir color
cl-extra hydra ring lv rx format-spec edmacro kmacro smartparens-config
smartparens-text smartparens advice loadhist thingatpt dash disp-table
whitespace quail help-mode easy-mmode darcula-theme autorevert
filenotify so-long finder-inf company-box-autoloads company-autoloads
counsel-autoloads editorconfig-autoloads frame-local-autoloads
git-gutter-autoloads go-mode-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads
helm-bibtex-autoloads helm-autoloads bibtex-completion-autoloads
biblio-autoloads biblio-core-autoloads helm-core-autoloads
async-autoloads ivy-hydra-autoloads lispy-autoloads hydra-autoloads
ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads literate-calc-mode-autoloads
lorem-ipsum-autoloads lsp-pyright-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads
ht-autoloads f-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase git-commit-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads parsebib-autoloads
php-mode-autoloads popup-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads s-autoloads
scala-mode-autoloads smartparens-autoloads dash-autoloads
solidity-mode-autoloads swiper-autoloads ivy-autoloads
transient-autoloads typescript-mode-autoloads web-mode-autoloads
wfnames-autoloads wgrep-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info
compat-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 746092 348433) (symbols 48 49727 15) (strings 32 214140 26823) (string-bytes 1 6389877) (vectors 16 112049)
  (vector-slots 8 1195403 232516) (floats 8 483 1044) (intervals 56 766 228) (buffers 992 12))