Subject: bug#7387: closed (Re: bug#6811: emacs-23.2 on hpux)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2019 00:43:02 +0000

Your bug report

#6811: 23.2; Emacs port to HP-UX ia64

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
6811: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6811
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#6811: emacs-23.2 on hpux
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2019 20:42:38 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 27.1

Emacs now has a portable dumper, which should help things like this.
This report is 9 years old. If there is still any interest in Emacs on
HP-UX, and there are problems with the new dumping approach, it's better
to open a new report.

Subject: 23.2; Emacs port to HP-UX ia64
From: "Maguire, Andrew (GE Energy)" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 18:07:17 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I have been attempting a port to Itanium HP-UX 11.23.
I have managed to change the configure etc. to successfully produce a
seemingly
valid bootstrap-emacs executable.
However, when it runs it immediately returns the error:

	emacs: Invalid function: run-hooks

This at a guess implies it is running the low level C functions but
appears to be
failing to find the Lisp function binding.
If anyone has any clues as to what could be wrong or things to try 
or where to look in the initialisation sequence please let me know.
The gdb environment on the machine unfortunately does not appear usable
at present, returning the unhelpful error:
	Error trying to get information from the dynamic linker.

I am also using gcc 4.3.3. I know that there is a port done by HP for
ia64 for version 22.3
but its configure program appeared to have been hacked to use HP's cc
compiler not gcc.

If I instead set CANNOT_DUMP 1, then I can get an undumped version that
opens an X Window,
but it suffers from initialisation issues, e.g. image-load-path is void
at start up
which is obviously wrong.

I noticed that XEmacs has a portable dump feature, which essentially
avoids rewriting
an executable file but instead stores the Lisp data to an xemacs.dmp
file next to the
executable. I managed to build xemacs 21.4.22 using it on the machine,
but I want FSF Emacs!

Thanks for any help,
Andrew Maguire

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
u:/sw/WNT/x86/emacs/emacs-23.2/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/xpm/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENG
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <wheel-down> 
<wheel-up> <wheel-up> <wheel-down> <wheel-up> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <about-emacs> <wheel-down> 
<wheel-up> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> 
<send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
byte-code: Beginning of buffer
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)