Subject: bug#6811: [PATCH] emacs-23.2 on hpux

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:08:20 +0200

>>> > +  ia64*-hp-hpux1[1-9]* )
>>> > +    machine=hp800 opsys=hpux11
>>> I think new ports need to be approved by the maintainers.

That's OK.

>>> This looks a bit odd.  Shouldn't the machine file be ia64?  Or a new
>>> file with ia64 in the name?

hp800.h is the only hp*.h we have, so it seems to apply to all hp machines.
I don't think we need to worry too much about the presence/absence of
ia64 in the name: most of the stuff in hp800.h (the one from emacs-23,
I mean) is OS-dependent rather than machine dependent, as is almost
always the case nowadays.

>>> > +#if __ia64
>>> > +#define CANNOT_DUMP 1
>>> > +#endif
>>> This looks bad, we don't have any port in the tree that does CANNOT_DUMP.
>>> Does it work if you dump using unexelf.o?
>> No.
> Bummer, then, IMVHO, this is not ready to be included...

It's not ready for real use, but that doesn't mean we can't include it.

        Stefan