Subject: Re: bug#68075: 30.0.50; New special form `handler-bind`

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2024 11:55:43 -0500

>> So, IIUC, reading that text makes you feel unsure, but you don't really
>> know what you're unsure of?
>
> Oh, but I do: the two references to "dynamic", including one to
> "dynamic binding" seem to indicate quite unequivocally that "dynamic
> binding" vs "lexical binding" could be involved.

Yes, it is involved: statically scoped vars are not affected, while
dynamically scoped vars are affected, which is why the text says
"dynamic".

> I wonder why it is so hard to understand this difficulty, when the
> words basically speak for themselves.

I guess I don't understand how "the words basically speak for
themselves" leads to a difficulty.

>> For this reason it would help if you could try and characterize more
>> precisely what you find confusing.
> I don't have anything else to say except point once again to your
> wording, which I already did several times...

Sadly, I still fail to grasp what kind of change to the wording could
address the problem because I still don't really understand the problem.
Maybe you could try to rewrite that bit in a way that you find more
clear (or if there's still some part of the behavior over which you have
doubts, then I'd be happily to try and explain it further).

        Stefan