Subject: Re: bug#6806: another reason for the patch

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2017 16:21:41 -0500

Tom Tromey <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi.  I'd like to resurrect this bug.
>
> While working in JS I found a bug, which I tracked down to the same
> change indicated here.  Basically, auto-fill in JS mode will sometimes
> insert a "/*" on a filled line, where it should not.
>
> You can see a precise recipe in the new test case, in the attached
> patch.
>
> One funny thing is that if you do this interactively (in my real-world
> case I had auto-fill-mode enabled), you have to be sure that there isn't
> a newline after point.  If there is a newline, the filling works
> properly.
>
> Anyway, let me know what you think.  I'd like to check this in, but,
> given the comments in https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6806#23
> I suppose I would not close the bug.

Sorry I missed this before you pushed the patch, but I'm not sure this
is a bug.  If I revert the setting of `comment-multi-line' then with
your test scenario, the result of auto fill is

    /* test test test test test test test test test test test test test */
    /* test test test 

So the opened comment was correctly terminated, and a new one started,
just as documented.  Perhaps you don't like that `comment-multi-line' is
nil by default, but it doesn't look like a bug to me.