Subject: [bug#68058] [PATCH] gnu: cross-gcc-toolchain: Add native-search-paths.

From: Thiago Jung Bauermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 19:44:33 -0300

Hello,

[ What I'm saying here is a duplicate of what I just sent in issue
  #69394, but I think it's useful to have these comments together with
  the patch, to facilitate discussion about it.  ]

Jean-Pierre De Jesus DIAZ via Guix-patches via <[email-masked]> writes:

> * gnu/packages/cross-base.scm (cross-gcc-toolchain): Add
>   native-search-paths.
>
> Change-Id: Ib4cc510fde71b8d3140e1001c3931f74300da8a0
> ---
>  gnu/packages/cross-base.scm | 1 +
>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
>
> diff --git a/gnu/packages/cross-base.scm b/gnu/packages/cross-base.scm
> index 6ee7b315d8..dc6f7922d6 100644
> --- a/gnu/packages/cross-base.scm
> +++ b/gnu/packages/cross-base.scm
> @@ -760,6 +760,7 @@ (define* (cross-gcc-toolchain/implementation target
>                   (((names . directory) ...)
>                    (union-build #$output directory))))))
>      (inputs `(,xbinutils ,xgcc ,@(if libc (list libc) '())))
> +    (native-search-paths (package-search-paths xgcc))
>      (home-page (package-home-page xgcc))
>      (synopsis
>       (format #f "Complete GCC tool chain for C/C++ development (~a)" target))
>
> base-commit: 756ba0429e84ee0f8ce30484439b78c00c61d286

Today I ran into the problem described in issue 69394 with a custom
aarch64-linux-gnu cross toolchain:

$ aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc -o ~/tmp/hello -g ~/tmp/hello.c
aarch64-linux-gnu-ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
aarch64-linux-gnu-ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

And I was able to fix it by locally applying the patch above. Thank you!

IMHO this patch should be applied.

In issue 69394 you wrote that this solution doesn't work when there are
multiple cross toolchains installed on the same profile (the CROSS_
environment variables would have all the cross toolchains), but I think
that moving from allowing zero cross toolchain installed in the
profile¹ to one cross toolchain installed is already an improvement. :-)

--
Thiago

¹ Except for bare-metal cross toolchains, which IIUC don't have this
  problem because they don't use crt*.o files?