Subject: bug#68030: 29.1; (elisp) `pcase Macro' Reformulation with `pcase' example

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2023 16:41:22 +0000

We shouldn't try to introduce (and perhaps even motivate) the use of
`pcase' for such a "simple matching task".  The `pcase' version is
many times more complex than the simple `if' version with a
single-sexp THEN and a single-sexp ELSE.

Even if the aim is to present `or', `and', `pred' and `app', a better
example should be used - something where it really _helps_ to use those
subpatterns.  In the example chosen they just add noise.

[Not part of this bug report, but you might also want to move the whole
`Caveats for SYMBOL in Sequencing Patterns' to a separate node (with
`pcase' somewhere in the node name).]

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2023-08-02 built on
 AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19045.3803)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation=aot
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)