Subject: Re: [bug#68010] [PATCH] home: services: Add home-zathura-service-type.

From: Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 15:11:25 +0300

Hi Sergey,

Sergey Trofimov <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have mixed feelings about pulling 3rd-party software configurations in guix:
> - adding it to guix increases maintenance burden: new versions   could add or
>  remove config options
> - it bloats guix: imagine if we add configs for every   user-configurable app
> - such configs are not easily transferrable: if I were to use the   same app
>  in non-guix env, I'd have to maintain 2 configs
>
> Another recent example is `oci-container-configuration` which defines a subset
> of docker-cli startup arguments. The problem is that `docker run` command has
> 96 options and the configuration only uses a handful, lacking a way to provide
> the remaining ones.
>
> I think guix should not embed config generators for user software. The only
> need I see for such generators is when there are options which should be the
> same among multiple applications (e.g. color schemes or shared
> directories). For such usecase guix should provide better text manipulation
> tools which home owners could use to parameterise configs.

It's a bit too off-topic to dive into general configurations in Guix
within the context of the current patch series and should probably be
discussed in a ‘guix-devel’ mailing list or ‘#guix’ IRC channel.

Regards,
Oleg.