Subject: Re: bug#68006: 30.0.50; Image-mode speed

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 11:50:24 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 20:16:19 +0100
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > Yes, probably.  And if you are going for the simple solution, please
>> > keep in mind that image-cache-eviction-delay is a global variable, and
>> > the images are cached on a per-frame basis.  So if image-mode enlarges
>> > image-cache-eviction-delay, it will affect all the images, not just
>> > those in image-mode buffers.  One more reason why I think we should
>> > provide a separate and differently managed cache for this purpose.
>> 
>> Ok.  Maybe we should re-use the current C cache code with a "nice"
>> interface for this too.
>
> Yes, that can be done.

Ok.  More thinking: my idea is to have an interface to create/destroy
image caches and feed/query them.  And why not have a Lisp interface to
it so something like image-mode could use this to manage its own cache.

> But we might need to store additional information there, like the
> buffer of the image, for example.

I don't understand.  Where do you think that the buffer of the image
should be stored?
-- 
Manuel Giraud