Subject: bug#68006: 30.0.50; Image-mode speed

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 20:55:40 +0200

> From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 19:42:53 +0100
> 
> But anyway, you're thinking about another image cache completely user
> manageable?

Yes.

> I guess it is a much more harder problem to tackle.

Probably.  But anything else will be IMO a kludge.  (We do have
kludges in Emacs, so we could have one here as well, of course.  I
just thought that it would be good to avoid it if possible).

> For starters, as the current image-mode is using the 'image' display
> property which uses the current image cache, I imagine that it
> should then be replaced by something else?

Yes, probably.  And if you are going for the simple solution, please
keep in mind that image-cache-eviction-delay is a global variable, and
the images are cached on a per-frame basis.  So if image-mode enlarges
image-cache-eviction-delay, it will affect all the images, not just
those in image-mode buffers.  One more reason why I think we should
provide a separate and differently managed cache for this purpose.