Subject: Re: bug#68006: 30.0.50; Image-mode speed

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 19:42:53 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> I've tried to think about it a bit but I don't understand why do you
>> think it should be a different one.
>
> Because its purpose is different, and the conditions to flush are also
> different.
>
>> With `image-cache-eviction-delay' being 300 seconds by default, I
>> think this is enough time for this usage too.
>
> I'm not sure I understand why time since caching is relevant for the
> purpose that you want to cache images.  Suppose there's an image that
> should be displayed during the entire session -- how does it make
> sense to remove it from the cache after 5 minutes?  OTOH, another
> image that is displayed just once doesn't need to be cached for more
> than a few seconds.

My idea was just to have image-mode to feel that it display images
faster.  In the first time, by caching already displayed images and
maybe, in a second time, by doing some prefetching of nearby images.
For this usage, I thought that 5 minutes was also a quite good value.

But anyway, you're thinking about another image cache completely user
manageable?  I guess it is a much more harder problem to tackle.  For
starters, as the current image-mode is using the 'image' display
property which uses the current image cache, I imagine that it should
then be replaced by something else?
-- 
Manuel Giraud