Subject: Re: bug#68006: 30.0.50; Image-mode speed

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 19:43:35 +0200

> From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 17:47:42 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> Do you think we need a completely different cache or just some handles
> >> on the current one?
> >
> > A different cache, I think.
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I've tried to think about it a bit but I don't understand why do you
> think it should be a different one.

Because its purpose is different, and the conditions to flush are also
different.

> With `image-cache-eviction-delay' being 300 seconds by default, I
> think this is enough time for this usage too.

I'm not sure I understand why time since caching is relevant for the
purpose that you want to cache images.  Suppose there's an image that
should be displayed during the entire session -- how does it make
sense to remove it from the cache after 5 minutes?  OTOH, another
image that is displayed just once doesn't need to be cached for more
than a few seconds.