Subject: bug#68006: 30.0.50; Image-mode speed

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 13:10:48 +0100

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> In a nutshell, this cache is ephemeral anyway, and will be flushed at
>> some arbitrary time whether we want it or not, because its purpose is
>> not what you think it is.
>
> If it is flushed anyways, then that is exactly what we want here, I
> think.  The idea is to flush it less often, AFAIU.

Yes that's it: flush less often (at the expense of more used memory of
course)

>> In any case, if you intend to not flush the cache at all, then what
>> does that mean for Emacs sessions running for days and weeks, let
>> alone months, on end? will they keep these images in memory forever?
>> Or should GC sometimes evict those images from the cache, and if so,
>> under what conditions?
>
> Are you saying that, if this particular call is removed, we will never
> flush the cache (i.e. we will have memory leaks)?

I don't know what Eli had in mind but removing this particular call
would not remove the timely cache eviction mechanism (via
'image-cache-eviction-delay')
-- 
Manuel Giraud