Subject: Re: bug#68006: 30.0.50; Image-mode speed

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2024 12:12:12 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> For the moment, I wanted to keep it minimal so the only interface to use
>> it goes as follow.  When a user (or a program) use the image attribute
>> ":ttl TIME_IN_SECONDS" with `create-image' such image will be stored in
>> the « user cache » and not in the internal one.  Images lookups use both
>> caches (internal and internal, in that order).  A negative
>> TIME_IN_SECONDS means « cache this image forever ».
>
> Why do we need a separate cache for this? couldn't we instead just add
> the EOL field to the single cache we already have?  having two caches
> requires to search both of them, which slows down image look up, so if
> we can avoid that, it's better.

That's you (in this thread) that suggested having another cache for more
"user controlled" usage and suggested that lookup_image could search in
both caches.

>> I think there will be a need for user function that completely flushes
>> the images in this new cache.  But do you think we need others commands
>> for such interface?
>
> We probably need a way for modifying the time an image is to be kept,
> at least.

Yes.  Anyway, my last patch was completely wrong and I am working on
another one.  Tell me if you're interested to see where I'm headed to.
-- 
Manuel Giraud