Subject: Re: bug#68006: 30.0.50; Image-mode speed

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 15:54:53 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 15:35:42 +0100
>> 
>> I also imagine it would be mostly in C.  But looking at the code, I
>> think I have overlooked something: lookup_image is what currently does
>> most of the work (with caching) and this is in called in many places in
>> "xdisp.c".  Of course, I think we should keep that... but then how could
>> we design this new cache?
>
> For example, lookup_image could look in both the existing and this new
> cache.

Yes why not.  So your idea is to have just one more other cache that we
can access differently than the current one.  I was thinking more of
something to let Lisp programs create their own image cache but that may
be less practical.
-- 
Manuel Giraud