Subject: Re: bug#6799: 24.0.50; Please add dired-details.el to Emacs [patch]

From: Christopher Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 19:52:16 +0000 (GMT)

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:
> I'm sorry if I'm maybe a bit dense, but I don't understand what you're
> saying.  Please be more specific (and feel free to use a concrete
> example from dired-details rather than from your test case).

I am sorry for not being on point and specific.

> I especially don't understand because IIUC dired-details only ever
> hides parts of a line (i.e. it never hides an LF) and it never hides
> the filename itself, so it neither affects what (forward-char arg)
> nshould do nor what (dired-move-to-filename) should do and after those
> two, the cursor should be placed in a visible spot, so there's no need
> to move the cursor.

dired-hide-details-mode also hides full lines other than header and
file/directory lines.  This includes the informational line right after
the header line.

    /my/directory:
    total used in directory 1M available 1.0G  <--
    drwx------  2 me me 4.0K Feb 11 17:35 file

Apply the patch, revert all hunks to dired-(next|previous)-line and move
point around the first lines of a dired buffer with hidden details.  Use
C-n and C-p for point movement.

> OK, great.  Then feel free to install at your convenience (with a note
> in etc/NEWS as well),

Thank you very much.  I am going to do that after I incorporate your
feedback and give the code another round of testing.  Thank you so much
for your feedback and your help.

        Christopher