Subject: Re: bug#6799: 24.0.50; Please add dired-details.el to Emacs [patch]

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 17:31:39 -0500

>   (save-restriction
>     (widen)

Please add a comment explaining why widening should be used here.

> 		 do (let ((buffer-read-only))
> 		      (put-text-property (point) end
> 					 'invisible my-dired-hide-details-mode))

Better bind inhibit-read-only to t.  Or better yet, use
with-silent-modifications (but move it outside the loop).

Also, rather than set the invisible property to nil or t, better set it
to another symbol (e.g. `dired-details'), whose meaning is then
controlled by add-to-invisibility-spec.

> (defadvice dired-insert-set-properties
>   (after my-add-hide-props (beg end) activate)

Obviously, this would have to be turned into a patch, and since it's not
small, it would need to be moved to its own function (which would be
called from dired-insert-set-properties).

> (defadvice find-dired (after my-fix-move-process-mark-to-arg activate)
>   (move-marker (process-mark (get-buffer-process (current-buffer)))
> 	       (save-excursion
> 		 (goto-char (point-min))
> 		 (forward-line 1)
> 		 (point))))

How is that related to dired-details?

        Stefan