Subject: bug#67978: 29.1; ERC 5.5.0.29.1: Unnecessary .authinfo.gpg decryption causes connection failure to irc.libera.chat

From: Jake <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 10:31:18 +1030

Hello

I encountered an issue with authinfo interfering with ERC:
When I attempt to connect to the irc.libera.chat server with a random
nickname and no password, if a ~/.authinfo.gpg file is present on my
system (or any .gpg file in the auth-sources variable), ERC attempts to
decrypt this file when connecting. When I don't decrypt it, the
connection fails.

This occurs with emacs -Q.

If I set auth-sources to nil, or change the name of the .gpg file to
something else not in auth-sources, I get the expected behavior; i.e., it
connects to the server.

Steps to reproduce:
1. have an encrypted ~/.authinfo.gpg file (this will also be an element of
the variable auth-sources, which is the default)
2. emacs -Q
3. M-x erc-tls
interactively: RET on default values irc.libera.chat and 6697, then enter a
unique nickname and do not enter a password
4. be prompted to decrypt ~/.authinfo.gpg

Thanks
Jake

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33,
 cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-11-26 built on pc
Repository revision: a9b28224af0f73d1fe0f422e9b318c5b91af889b
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_AU.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec gnus-util text-property-search
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils epa-file epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config erc-list erc-menu
erc-join erc-ring erc-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color
ring erc-track erc-match erc-button browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap wid-edit erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit
url-parse url-vars erc-goodies erc iso8601 time-date auth-source eieio
eieio-core password-cache json map thingatpt pp format-spec cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra
help-mode cl-lib erc-backend erc-networks byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile erc-common erc-compat erc-loaddefs rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 135458 9425)
 (symbols 48 11459 0)
 (strings 32 34227 2725)
 (string-bytes 1 1091358)
 (vectors 16 23335)
 (vector-slots 8 458080 9833)
 (floats 8 39 25)
 (intervals 56 1318 0)
 (buffers 976 13))