Subject: bug#67955: [PATCH] Add use-package-vc-prefer-newest user option

From: Tony Zorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 17:51:44 +0100

On Fri, Jan 12 2024 16:32, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
> Tony Zorman <[email-masked]> writes:
>> ++++
>> +*** New user option 'use-package-vc-prefer-newest'.
>> +This allows the user to always install the newest commit of a package
>> +when using the ':vc' keyword.
>
> I wonder if this should be merged into the previous point, or if it is
> even worth mentioning, since it is part of a few feature that has been
> added in Emacs 30.

No strong opinions here, I can change this to whatever people prefer.

>> +(defcustom use-package-vc-prefer-newest nil
>> +  "Prefer the newest commit over the latest release.
>> +If non-nil, the `:vc' keyword will prefer the latest commit of a
>> +package instead of the latest stable release.  This has the same
>> +effect as specifying `:rev :newest' in every invocation of `:vc'."
>> +  :type 'boolean
>> +  :version "30.1"
>> +  :group 'use-package)
>
> I would briefly mention what the issue could be when setting this option
> to non-nil, just to give some context as to why it is disabled by default.

Do you mean something like how this goes against what [Non]GNU ELPA do,
and could lead to increased instability (as we are, by definition,
tracking a moving target)? I guess a lot of users will be familiar with
this style of development from MELPA, so I'm not sure any additional
warning here is necessary. Again, I don't feel very strongly about this,
so if you want this changed I'll think of something.

-- 
Tony Zorman | https://tony-zorman.com/