Subject: bug#67953: 30.0.50; ls-lisp messes up columns

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:35:55 -0500

Package: Emacs
Version: 30.0.50

After loading `ls-lisp`, I notice that with (setq
ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program t) I get the nice:

    C-x d /u*/s* RET  ==>

      /:
      wildcard u*/s*/
      drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 20480 10 déc 11:24 usr/sbin/
      drwxr-xr-x 404 root root 16384  2 déc 15:05 usr/share/
      drwxr-xr-x   4 root root  4096 22 fév  2023 usr/src/

But with (setq ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program nil) I get:

    C-x d /u*/s* RET  ==>

      /:
      wildcard u*/s*
      drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 20480 12-10 11:24 usr/sbin
      drwxr-xr-x404 root root 16384 12-02 15:05 usr/share
       drwxr-xr-x  4 root root 4096 2023-02-22  usr/src

Notice the weird extra space in front of the last line and the missing
space between "x" and "404" in the penultimate line.

        Stefan