Subject: bug#67937: 30.0.50; auth-source-pass relies on epa-file being enabled

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 13:41:09 +0200

> From: Arsen Arsenović <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "J.P." <[email-masked]>, Damien Cassou <[email-masked]>, Eli
>   Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 11:37:55 +0100
> 
> >> Regardless, what I said initially holds true ultimately: either epa-file
> >> should not be relied on, or a-s-p should ensure it is present.  I
> >> gravitate towards the former, as it reduces the complexity of getting a
> >> password-store entry.
> >
> > I vote for the latter, because it simplifies overall maintainability.
> 
> I disagree.  I think that involving the f-n-h-a mechanism for handling
> PGP files ultimately introduces implicitly far more complexity, even if
> the code is slightly briefer, precisely because of this dependency.

I disagree with your disagreement, and agree with Michael here.  I see
no maintainer's complexity in using file-name handlers that could be
avoided by not using them: file-name handlers are, and will always be,
an integral part of Emacs internals, so thinking about them as
"complexity" makes no more sense than, say, thinking about GC as
complexity.

P.S. Would people please not use "shorthands" like "f-n-h-a" and
"a-s-p", but instead use the full names?  Those "shorthands" make the
text harder to read, while OTOH typing them in full using M-/ is very
easy and takes only a couple of keypresses.