Subject: bug#67937: 30.0.50; auth-source-pass relies on epa-file being enabled

From: Arsen Arsenović <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:57:28 +0100

Hi there!

It would seem that auth-source-pass relies on epa-file being enabled to
be able to decrypt passwords.

Repro steps:
- emacs -Q
- M-x epa-file-disable
- M-: (auth-source-pass-get 'secret "something")

You will see a GPG-encrypted data string.

epa-file-disable should not break the auth-source.

TIA, have a lovely day.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2023-12-16 built on localhost
Repository revision: 2a591b228aaa8c66c27cc5b7cb3033aa6625bc0b
Repository branch: master
System Description: Gentoo Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --datarootdir=/usr/share
 --disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-30.0.9999
 --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-30.0.9999/html --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --program-suffix=-emacs-30-vcs --includedir=/usr/include/emacs-30-vcs
 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-30-vcs --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-compress-install --without-hesiod --without-pop
 --with-file-notification=inotify --with-pdumper --enable-acl
 --enable-xattr --with-dbus --with-modules --with-gameuser=:gamestat
 --with-libgmp --with-gpm --with-native-compilation=aot --with-json
 --without-kerberos --without-kerberos5 --with-lcms2 --with-xml2
 --with-mailutils --without-selinux --without-small-ja-dic
 --with-sqlite3 --with-gnutls --with-libsystemd --with-threads
 --with-tree-sitter --without-wide-int --with-sound=alsa --with-zlib
 --with-pgtk --without-x --without-ns --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings --with-harfbuzz --with-libotf
 --with-m17n-flt --with-xwidgets --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-webp --without-imagemagick
 --with-dumping=pdumper 'CFLAGS=-freport-bug -O3 -ggdb3 -pipe
 -fdiagnostics-color=always -march=x86-64-v2 -flto' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1
 -Wl,--as-needed -O3 -Wl,-O3 -pipe -fdiagnostics-color=always
 -Wl,--defsym=__gentoo_check_ldflags__=0 -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs
 -Wl,--build-id -flto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER
PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: mu4e:main

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  diff-hl-flydiff-mode: t
  global-jinx-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  mu4e-search-minor-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  mu4e-update-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-context-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-modeline-mode: t
  ws-butler-global-mode: t
  ws-butler-mode: t
  corfu-popupinfo-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  vertico-mouse-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  overwrite-mode: overwrite-mode-binary

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/desktop-entry-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/desktop-file-utils/desktop-entry-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-eat/eat hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-eat/term/eat
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/transient/transient hides /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow emacsbug help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace
network-stream nsm mailalias mm-archive sort smiley gnus-cite mail-extr
textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable
textsec-check qp org-capture face-remap magit-bookmark git-rebase
magit-extras magit-sparse-checkout magit-gitignore magit-ediff ediff
ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init
ediff-util magit-subtree magit-patch magit-submodule magit-blame
magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch
magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes
magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset
magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit package url-handlers
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode
git-commit log-edit magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor comp comp-cstr server
magit-mode transient magit-git magit-base magit-section cursor-sensor
crm consult-register consult misearch multi-isearch vc-hg vc-bzr
cus-edit cus-start tramp-archive tramp-gvfs tramp-cmds tramp-cache
time-stamp eat term ehelp vertico-directory add-log ffap antlr-mode view
texinfo texinfo-loaddefs autoconf-mode make-mode bug-reference epa-file
m4-mode flymake-cc flymake project compile warnings autorevert dired-aux
vc-git diff-hl-flydiff diff diff-hl log-view pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher diff-mode cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs jinx org-element
org-persist org-id org-refile avl-tree generator oc-basic ol-eww eww
url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
ol-docview doc-view filenotify jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex
bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi ebuild-mode skeleton sh-script
smie treesit executable pcase emacs-news-mode display-line-numbers info
savehist saveplace tramp-sh tramp trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-message tramp-compat xdg shell tramp-loaddefs desktop frameset
cus-load mu4e mu4e-org mu4e-notification notifications mu4e-main
mu4e-view thingatpt gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime
gnutls dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus
comp-run comp-common gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader
range wid-edit mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions
smtpmail mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark mu4e-message
shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util flow-fill mule-util hl-line mu4e-contacts
mu4e-update mu4e-folders mu4e-context mu4e-query-items mu4e-server
mu4e-modeline mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers mu4e-config mu4e-window bookmark pp
ido message sendmail mailcap yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822
mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils
gmm-utils mailheader mu4e-obsolete auth-source-pass url-parse url-vars
auth-source eieio eieio-core password-cache ws-butler
modus-vivendi-tinted-theme modus-themes kind-icon svg-lib color svg dom
xml corfu-popupinfo corfu orderless marginalia vertico-mouse vertico
compat flycheck json map dash org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint
ansi-osc ansi-color org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities
time-date noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle
org-table ol rx org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs
format-spec which-key ace-window subr-x avy ring
display-fill-column-indicator disp-table which-func imenu elec-pair
icons whitespace edmacro kmacro byte-opt cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode
cl-seq use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-core cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile site-gentoo
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win
term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1372904 2758834) (symbols 48 63158 173) (strings 32 238991 63972)
 (string-bytes 1 9351869) (vectors 16 143465) (vector-slots 8 3206303 1038617)
 (floats 8 758 12743) (intervals 56 99512 19143) (buffers 992 162))
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

--
Arsen Arsenović