Subject: bug#67937: 30.0.50; auth-source-pass relies on epa-file being enabled

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2024 09:31:45 +0100

Arsen Arsenović <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Arsen,

> Please keep the bug tracker in CC.

Sorry, it wasn't intended by me to cut the Cc list.

>> Of course, it doesn't work in your example on *shell* level. However, on
>> Emacs level it should work, because jka-compr-handler should return an
>> uncompressed temp file /tmp/xyz.gpg, and epa-file-handler should know
>> how to handle this gpg file.
>
> ... the reference implementation does not do this, and it has no reason
> to do this, because the 'storage format' in question does not support
> compression, and so, auth-source-pass has no reason to implement this.

You don't get it. I'm proposing to allow a (for example) compressed or
remote gpg-file. All what you need is to retrieve a local copy of it,
via file-local-copy, and continie to work with this copy.

As long as auth-source-pass doesn't write to the gpg-file, it is all
what's needed.

> I'd also love to hear from the authors of auth-source-pass.

Sure. I don't use auth-source-pass myself,

> Have a lovely day.

Best regards, Michael.