Subject: bug#67928: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Load GDB history in gud-gdb

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 13:43:23 +0100

Hi,

'M-x gud-gdb' does not load GDB history by default.  This patch fixes
this.
>From 44fd88410c72432fd3e74e0af00e7ec617fc8fe9 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 12:08:30 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] Load GDB history into gud-gdb

* lisp/progmodes/gud.el (gud-gdb-load-history): New function to
load GDB history into 'comint-input-ring'.
(gud-gdb): Call it.
* lisp/progmodes/gdb-mi.el (gdb): Call it.
---
 lisp/progmodes/gdb-mi.el | 33 ++-------------------------------
 lisp/progmodes/gud.el    | 34 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 2 files changed, 36 insertions(+), 31 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/progmodes/gdb-mi.el b/lisp/progmodes/gdb-mi.el
index 7ae4bcea1e1..c14f2e2ba65 100644
--- a/lisp/progmodes/gdb-mi.el
+++ b/lisp/progmodes/gdb-mi.el
@@ -902,37 +902,8 @@ gdb
   (setq-local gud-minor-mode 'gdbmi)
   (setq-local gdb-control-level 0)
   (setq comint-input-sender 'gdb-send)
-  (when (ring-empty-p comint-input-ring) ; cf shell-mode
-    (let ((hfile (expand-file-name (or (getenv "GDBHISTFILE")
-				       (if (eq system-type 'ms-dos)
-					   "_gdb_history"
-					 ".gdb_history"))))
-	  ;; gdb defaults to 256, but we'll default to comint-input-ring-size.
-	  (hsize (getenv "HISTSIZE")))
-      (dolist (file (append '("~/.gdbinit")
-			    (unless (string-equal (expand-file-name ".")
-                                                  (expand-file-name "~"))
-			      '(".gdbinit"))))
-	(if (file-readable-p (setq file (expand-file-name file)))
-	    (with-temp-buffer
-	      (insert-file-contents file)
-	      ;; TODO? check for "set history save\\(  *on\\)?" and do
-	      ;; not use history otherwise?
-	      (while (re-search-forward
-		      "^ *set history \\(filename\\|size\\)  *\\(.*\\)" nil t)
-		(cond ((string-equal (match-string 1) "filename")
-		       (setq hfile (expand-file-name
-				    (match-string 2)
-				    (file-name-directory file))))
-		      ((string-equal (match-string 1) "size")
-		       (setq hsize (match-string 2))))))))
-      (and (stringp hsize)
-	   (integerp (setq hsize (string-to-number hsize)))
-	   (> hsize 0)
-           (setq-local comint-input-ring-size hsize))
-      (if (stringp hfile)
-          (setq-local comint-input-ring-file-name hfile))
-      (comint-read-input-ring t)))
+  (gud-gdb-load-history)
+
   (gud-def gud-tbreak "tbreak %f:%l" "\C-t"
 	   "Set temporary breakpoint at current line." t)
   (gud-def gud-jump
diff --git a/lisp/progmodes/gud.el b/lisp/progmodes/gud.el
index 0f0bb73ae77..1fc0f1f5b6a 100644
--- a/lisp/progmodes/gud.el
+++ b/lisp/progmodes/gud.el
@@ -803,6 +803,39 @@ gud-gdb-completion-function
 ;; If in gdb mode, gdb-mi is loaded.
 (declare-function gdb-restore-windows "gdb-mi" ())
 
+(defun gud-gdb-load-history ()
+  (when (ring-empty-p comint-input-ring) ; cf shell-mode
+    (let ((hfile (expand-file-name (or (getenv "GDBHISTFILE")
+				       (if (eq system-type 'ms-dos)
+					   "_gdb_history"
+					 ".gdb_history"))))
+	  ;; gdb defaults to 256, but we'll default to comint-input-ring-size.
+	  (hsize (getenv "HISTSIZE")))
+      (dolist (file (append '("~/.gdbinit")
+			    (unless (string-equal (expand-file-name ".")
+                                                  (expand-file-name "~"))
+			      '(".gdbinit"))))
+	(if (file-readable-p (setq file (expand-file-name file)))
+	    (with-temp-buffer
+	      (insert-file-contents file)
+	      ;; TODO? check for "set history save\\(  *on\\)?" and do
+	      ;; not use history otherwise?
+	      (while (re-search-forward
+		      "^ *set history \\(filename\\|size\\)  *\\(.*\\)" nil t)
+		(cond ((string-equal (match-string 1) "filename")
+		       (setq hfile (expand-file-name
+				    (match-string 2)
+				    (file-name-directory file))))
+		      ((string-equal (match-string 1) "size")
+		       (setq hsize (match-string 2))))))))
+      (and (stringp hsize)
+	   (integerp (setq hsize (string-to-number hsize)))
+	   (> hsize 0)
+           (setq-local comint-input-ring-size hsize))
+      (if (stringp hfile)
+          (setq-local comint-input-ring-file-name hfile))
+      (comint-read-input-ring t))))
+
 ;; The old gdb command (text command mode).  The new one is in gdb-mi.el.
 ;;;###autoload
 (defun gud-gdb (command-line)
@@ -832,6 +865,7 @@ gud-gdb
 
   (gud-common-init command-line nil 'gud-gdb-marker-filter)
   (setq-local gud-minor-mode 'gdb)
+  (gud-gdb-load-history)
 
   (gud-def gud-break  "break %f:%l"  "\C-b" "Set breakpoint at current line.")
   (gud-def gud-tbreak "tbreak %f:%l" "\C-t"
-- 
2.43.0

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.4) of 2023-12-20
 built on computer
Repository revision: 44fd88410c72432fd3e74e0af00e7ec617fc8fe9
Repository branch: mgi/gud-gdb-history
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101009
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.4 GENERIC.MP#1523 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure CC=egcc CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
 LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib MAKEINFO=gmakeinfo --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs
 --bindir=/home/manuel/bin --with-x-toolkit=no --without-cairo
 --without-dbus --without-gconf --without-gsettings --without-sound
 --without-compress-install'

Configured features:
FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2
MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XFT XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Compilation

Minor modes in effect:
  gdb-many-windows: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.4.1/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow emacsbug sh-script smie treesit pulse proced smerge-mode diff
gdb-mi bindat gud help-fns radix-tree cl-print gnus-cite mail-extr
textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable
textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml gnus-topic mm-archive
url-cache utf-7 imap rfc2104 nndoc nndraft nnmh network-stream nnfolder
nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp
gnus-cache nnrss dabbrev magit-utils dash modus-vivendi-theme image-mode
exif sort gnus-dired find-dired char-fold cus-edit cus-start misearch
multi-isearch executable hi-lock mule-util jka-compr on-screen eww
url-queue mm-url paredit vc-dir ewoc whitespace autorevert filenotify
vc-git diff-mode vc vc-dispatcher bug-reference time battery cus-load
desktop frameset exwm-randr xcb-randr exwm-config ido exwm exwm-input
xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render
exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto
xcb-types xcb-debug server modus-operandi-theme modus-themes zone
speed-type url-http url-auth url-gw nsm compat ytdious mingus libmpdee
reporter edebug debug backtrace transmission color calc-bin calc-ext
calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs supercite regi ebdb-message ebdb-gnus
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig
gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev
eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe find-func eieio-base timezone
icalendar gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit web-mode derived disp-table erlang-start skeleton cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs slime-asdf grep slime-tramp tramp rx trampver tramp-integration
files-x tramp-message tramp-compat xdg shell pcomplete parse-time
iso8601 time-date format-spec tramp-loaddefs slime-fancy
slime-indentation slime-cl-indent cl-indent slime-trace-dialog
slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree advice slime-scratch slime-presentations
bridge slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl slime-parse slime
apropos compile text-property-search etags fileloop generator xref
project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline icons pp comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt slime-autoloads edmacro kmacro
use-package-bind-key bind-key appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs pcase dired-x dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs
cl-extra help-mode use-package-core repeat easy-mmode debbugs-autoloads
ebdb-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads exwm-autoloads hyperbole-autoloads
magit-autoloads git-commit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
dash-autoloads on-screen-autoloads osm-autoloads paredit-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads speed-type-autoloads transmission-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads ytdious-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting xinput2 x
multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 912166 365676) (symbols 48 51005 16)
 (strings 32 264144 8346) (string-bytes 1 8663487) (vectors 16 160434)
 (vector-slots 8 2123632 106671) (floats 8 593 3889)
 (intervals 56 21121 724) (buffers 992 44))

-- 
Manuel Giraud