Subject: bug#67926: 29.1; fail to extract ZIP subfile named with [...]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 22:09:23 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> If users are not expected to have unzip.exe, they feel convenient if
>> subfiles are extracted without unzip.exe.
>> In this case, it is better archive-zip-extract's value as variable can
>> be a lisp function to be called in the archive-zip-extract function.
>
> We could consider extracting using our own code if someone writes the
> code to support all the 17 methods that unzip.exe supports.
> Otherwise, we would introduce a regression, and someone somewhere will
> rightfully complain.
>
> Btw, your suggested changes required gzip and bunzip2 as external
> programs to support the 2 most popular compression methods.  Why
> should we assume these are available more widely than unzip,
> especially on Windows?

When I installed UnxUtils years ago, it had bzip2 and gzip, but not
unzip nor zip. Now I download it again, it has unzip and zip.

My interest is how to avoid naming problems.
There are more difficulties in Japanese.
Japanese characters in file names are normally encoded in cp932.
Encoded characters may have '[', '\' or ']' as a second byte.
  (encode-coding-string "ゼソゾ" 'cp932)
  => "\203[\203\\\203]"
Subfiles of such names can not be extracted normally.