Subject: [bug#67921] [PATCH haskell-team 2/3] gnu: ghc: Use version 9.4.8 as the default

From: Lars-Dominik Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 12:03:49 +0100

Hi Saku,

> Because I wrote that patch when there wasn't yet a Stackage release for
> ghc 9.6. But if a stackage release for it has now been released I'll try
> updating it to 9.6.

oh, I see. I believe 9.6 drops the Makefile-based build-system, making
it a slightly more involved upgrade.

> Regarding the big upgrade, I have been wondering how could the cabal
> revisions be updated automatically.

I’ve been using the script attached, which basically overwrites the
entire package, except for synopsis and description.

> Is there some reason why the revision is not part of the package
> version?

I don’t know.

> Moving it there would probably be much easier than modifying
> guix refresh (but then again, if those modifications should be done
> anyway it doesn't really reduce the amount of work)

The thing is that we still need the cabal file hash somewhere and it
needs to be updated. My idea was to create a new HACKAGE-URI procedure,
which accepts package name, version, revision and cabal file hash and
add some black magic to combine the new cabal file with the tarball from
hackage. Code exists for this, but I’ve never been able to finalize it.

Lars