Subject: Re: bug#6792: 24.0.50; at revision 100946 GNU Emacs with Xaw3d does not compile

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 17:14:35 +0200

Am 04.08.2010 um 08:50 schrieb Jan D.:

> Why aren't you setting CFLAGS and LDFLAGS?

Because last week or at least month this was not necessary.

> That is the way it is supposed to be done, no need to modify any  
> configure script:
>
> % LDFLAGS=-L/sw/lib CFLAGS='-O2 -g -I/sw/include' ./configure ...

Then why is the configure script setting for an internal use these  
GCC_TEST_OPTIONS without propagating them later to the compiler? By  
this means (failure) configure does its job in a different environment  
than the compiler, configure will find things working which  
*obviously* fail for the compiler. Or why was compilation set for  
Xaw3d? Certainly not because I demanded that and configure could *not*  
find it's there. This state isn't the purpose of the configure script...

BTW, compilation also fails when GCC_TEST_OPTIONS is set for MacPorts'  
Xaw3d at the same statement(s). IMO the configure script is broken.  
I'm going to check whether it works at all for the default GTK  
interface.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for  
lists of "Ten Best."
				– H. Allen Smith