Subject: automake-1.16i doesn't build on Solaris 10 sparc

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:35:42 -0800

Here are the symptoms. But now that I look into it, I see the 
automake-1.16 build fails with the same symptoms. So I assume this is 
low priority.

   GEN      doc/automake-1.16.1
help2man: can't get `--help' info from bin/automake
Try `--no-discard-stderr' if option outputs to stderr
*** Error code 255
The following command caused the error:
echo "  GEN     " doc/automake-1.16.1;:; HELP2MAN_NAME="Generate 
Makefile.in fi\
les for configure from Makefile.am"; export HELP2MAN_NAME; 
/opt/sfw/bin/mkdir -\
p doc  && AUTOMAKE_HELP2MAN=true ./pre-inst-env  /usr/bin/perl 
./doc/help2man -\
-output=doc/automake-1.16.1 --info-page=automake 
--name="${HELP2MAN_NAME}" bin\
/automake
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `doc/automake-1.16.1'
$ HELP2MAN_NAME="Generate Makefile.in files for configure from 
Makefile.am" && export HELP2MAN_NAME && AUTOMAKE_HELP2MAN=true sh -x 
./pre-inst-env  /usr/bin/perl ./doc/help2man 
--output=doc/automake-1.16.1 --info-page=automake 
--name="${HELP2MAN_NAME}" bin/automake
abs_top_srcdir=/var/run/rpc_door/eggert/automake-1.16i
abs_top_builddir=/var/run/rpc_door/eggert/automake-1.16i
sep=:
PERL5LIB=/var/run/rpc_door/eggert/automake-1.16i/lib/:/var/run/rpc_door/eggert/automake-1.16i/lib/
+ export PERL5LIB
PATH=/var/run/rpc_door/eggert/automake-1.16i/bin:/var/run/rpc_door/eggert/prefix/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/perl5/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/r/share1/src/developerstudio12.6/bin
+ export PATH
AUTOMAKE_UNINSTALLED=1
+ export AUTOMAKE_UNINSTALLED
AUTOMAKE_LIBDIR=/var/run/rpc_door/eggert/automake-1.16i/lib
+ export AUTOMAKE_LIBDIR
ACLOCAL_AUTOMAKE_DIR=/var/run/rpc_door/eggert/automake-1.16i/m4
+ export ACLOCAL_AUTOMAKE_DIR
ACLOCAL_PATH=/var/run/rpc_door/eggert/automake-1.16i/m4/acdir
+ export ACLOCAL_PATH
+ exec /usr/bin/perl ./doc/help2man --output=doc/automake-1.16.1 
--info-page=automake --name=Generate Makefile.in files for configure 
from Makefile.am bin/automake
help2man: can't get `--help' info from bin/automake
Try `--no-discard-stderr' if option outputs to stderr
$