Subject: [bug#67875] xwayland security updates, to mesa- or core-updates or ?

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 10:32:50 +0200

On Mon, Jan 08, 2024 at 05:43:40AM +0000, John Kehayias wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> Forgive the top post and please see below/previous messages for
> previous updates.
> 
> TL;DR: I plan to merge mesa-updates into master today-ish (well,
> tomorrow for me at this point).
> 
> I've been checking in with Efraim who's been very helpful at trying to
> nudge along substitute coverage on non-x86_64 platforms. Unfortunately
> looks like we have plateaued a bit on, e.g., aarch64. We haven't been
> getting stats from QA for this round, and Berlin looks good for what
> it covers (x86) but other architectures are down from what we can
> tell.
> 
> I don't think there are any fundamental failures at this point but
> just lots of "missing derivation" errors (I've restarted so many
> manually for x86_64/i686) and builds not completing without restarts.
> Or unknown reasons. Given the few weeks I've given this and the risk
> of just perpetually doing rebuilds to keep catching up (with then more
> updates to push) I think it would be best to merge to master. Mesa and
> other bits will continue to move forward as well, so I think it is
> time so we can be somewhat timely.
> 
> I'd rather not without complete substitute coverage, but given recent
> build farm difficulties, and the tools we do have for users (pinning,
> weather checks, etc.) I think it is best to call this branch so we can
> move on. Gnome has some updates that will need (re)building as well as
> trying to move forward with core-updates now too.
> 
> This is a case where having some better sense of our users and actual
> substitute needs/wants would be helpful (yes, Guix survey!) as well as
> recognizing our current infrastructure limits. Here's another vote for
> prioritizing infrastructure and making sure QA lives and expands.
> 
> Feel free to object to this merge timing, though with the relative
> silence in each previous message I take it I can make a call here.
> 
> Thanks everyone and hope 2024 is off to a good start! Enjoy the new
> mesa with curl and xwayland security updates (no new grafts!).

To record here more or less what I said on IRC, we're currently at
rust-1.56 or 1.57 on the mesa-teams branch, and we're looking at
probably more than a week to build out to rust itself, and then the
packages which depend on it.  Currently, on master, Berlin already is
running behind on building rust, and it wasn't until after the previous
mesa-updates merge that it caught up with building rust.

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   רנשלפ םירפא
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted