Subject: bug#67857: closed (Re: bug#67857: 30.0.50; ispell fails on apostrophes when the dictionary includes contractions)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 03:28:02 +0000

Your bug report

#67857: 30.0.50; ispell fails on apostrophes when the dictionary includes contractions

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
67857: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=67857
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#67857: 30.0.50; ispell fails on apostrophes when the dictionary includes contractions
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 05:27:18 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 13:22:07 -0800
> CC: [email-masked]
> 
>    I see no bug in Emacs here.  ispell.el works as intended.
> 
> Agreed; this is probably an openSUSE config problem.  Unfortunately, I
> can't file a bug with them because they are still shipping 27.2 (at
> least in their openSUSE Leap 15.5 release) and I can't reproduce this
> issue in that version.

OK, thanks for getting back to us.  I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: 30.0.50; ispell fails on apostrophes when the dictionary includes contractions
From: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 13:03:46 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

   1.  "emacs -Q" (in an environment that uses hunspell by default).

   2.  In the *scratch* buffer, type "this wiouldn't work".

   3.  Type M-b three times to move point before the "w" in the second
word.

   4.  Type M-$.  The sole offered replacement is "wouldn't" but the
text it offers to replace is "wiouldn"; typing "0" to take the
replacement results in "this wouldn't't work" in the buffer.

   On my system, the value of ispell-really-hunspell is "1.6.2"; further
configuration data appear below.  The problem seems to be that the
dictionary hunspell is using contains contractions, but ispell is
expecting just [:alpha:] words.  I tried tweaking the regexps in
ispell-dictionary-alist to accept apostrophes, but got the error:

	ispell--run-on-word: Ispell and its process have different
	character maps: (* & wiouldn 1 1: wouldn't)

It seems like a job tailor-made for OTHERCHARS, but I get the same error
whether I add the apostrophe to OTHERCHARS via

	(setf (nth 3 (assoc nil ispell-dictionary-alist)) "['0-9]")

or to CASECHARS and NOT-CASECHARS in tandem, via (e.g.):

	(setf (nth 1 (assoc nil ispell-dictionary-alist)) "['[:alpha:]]")

   I do not understand how to get past this point, so either the code is
failing somehow (and I appreciate that it might be hard to glean the
right config bits for the dictionar(y|ies) in use), I am missing or
misunderstanding some part of the documentation, or the documentation is
lacking.  TIA,

					-- Bob Rogers
					   http://www.rgrjr.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------
In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.34, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-12-16 built on orion
Repository revision: 059ae68087bf4498a0529d07319f5c5c2671cad7
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: openSUSE Leap 15.5

Configured using:
 'configure --with-dbus=no --with-gsettings=no --with-gif=ifavailable
 --with-tiff=no --with-gnutls=yes --with-gconf=no'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBSELINUX LIBXML2
MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix