Subject: bug#67856: Dired navigation via directory line does not respect dired-kill-when-opening-new-dired-buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:18:20 +0200

> Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 12:35:10 -0800
> From:  Jared Finder via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> The option dired-kill-when-opening-new-dired-buffer is not respected
> when clicking on parent directories in the directory line at the top
> of dired buffers.  This can be fixed by calling
> dired--find-possibly-alternate-file instead of dired in the
> callback, as my attached patch does.
> 
> I believe changing to dired--find-possibly-alternate-file is safe
> because from playing around with dired, the directory being clicked
> on must be a directory and can not contain wildcards at this point.
> Therefore, at this point it is known that the directory is just a
> plain directory (no wildcards) and so going through find-file
> machinery will have the intended result.

If we want to install this on the emacs-29 release branch, I'd prefer
a safer variant, which actually verified that we don't call
dired--find-possibly-alternate-file with a wildcard.  That's because
we have quite a few features that place buffers in Dired mode, and we
could easily miss one that does have wildcards there.

So would you mind modifying the patch a little so that it checks
whether current-dir includes wildcards, and if so, calls 'dired'
instead of dired--find-possibly-alternate-file?

Thanks.