Subject: bug#67851: closed (Re: bug#67851: 29.1; log-edit clobbers global binding for C-a)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 19:24:02 +0000

Your bug report

#67851: 29.1; log-edit clobbers global binding for C-a

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
67851: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=67851
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#67851: 29.1; log-edit clobbers global binding for C-a
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Jared Finder <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 11:23:35 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 30.1

Jared Finder via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of
text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> log-edit-mode-map directly binds C-a to log-edit-beginning-of-line,
> overwriting any local change a user has made.  This impacts me because I
> have C-a bound to mark-whole-buffer, using <home> instead for
> move-beginning-of-line.
>
> The attached simple patch switches log-edit to use <remap> to achieve
> the same goal.

Thanks, installed on master.

(I borked commit message by mistake: I didn't apply my edits to the
commit message before pushing.  Sorry about that.)

Subject: 29.1; log-edit clobbers global binding for C-a
From: Jared Finder <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 09:20:24 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

log-edit-mode-map directly binds C-a to log-edit-beginning-of-line,
overwriting any local change a user has made.  This impacts me because I
have C-a bound to mark-whole-buffer, using <home> instead for
move-beginning-of-line.

The attached simple patch switches log-edit to use <remap> to achieve
the same goal.

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.37,
  cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-09-11, modified by Debian built on melete
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
  'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
  --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
  --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
  --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
  
--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
  --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
  --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
  --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
  --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
  --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
  
--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
  --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
  --with-native-compilation --with-pgtk 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
  -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-N816CI/emacs-29.1+1=. 
-fstack-protector-strong
  -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
  -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils comp comp-cstr
warnings subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode bytecomp
byte-compile cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load icons wid-edit cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win
pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 100289 14604)
  (symbols 48 8810 0)
  (strings 32 23159 2137)
  (string-bytes 1 676948)
  (vectors 16 16444)
  (vector-slots 8 340824 22987)
  (floats 8 34 43)
  (intervals 56 387 2)
  (buffers 984 12))

From 58096881d9e7607d34b85943b6c5332eeb15ead9 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Jared Finder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 09:06:22 -0800
Subject: [PATCH] Using remap for binding of log-edit-beginning-of-line.

* lisp/vc/log-edit.el (log-edit-mode-map): Change binding.
---
 lisp/vc/log-edit.el | 4 ++--
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/vc/log-edit.el b/lisp/vc/log-edit.el
index c77f4494c1a..39e0799ba73 100644
--- a/lisp/vc/log-edit.el
+++ b/lisp/vc/log-edit.el
@@ -61,12 +61,12 @@ log-edit-mode-map
   "C-c C-d" #'log-edit-show-diff
   "C-c C-f" #'log-edit-show-files
   "C-c C-k" #'log-edit-kill-buffer
-  "C-a"     #'log-edit-beginning-of-line
   "M-n"     #'log-edit-next-comment
   "M-p"     #'log-edit-previous-comment
   "M-r"     #'log-edit-comment-search-backward
   "M-s"     #'log-edit-comment-search-forward
-  "C-c ?"   #'log-edit-mode-help)
+  "C-c ?"   #'log-edit-mode-help
+  "<remap> <move-beginning-of-line>" #'log-edit-beginning-of-line)
 
 (easy-menu-define log-edit-menu log-edit-mode-map
   "Menu used for `log-edit-mode'."
-- 
2.39.2