Subject: Re: bug#6784: 24.0.50; cmdproxy incosistency with command pathnames

From: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 19:52:22 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Please show the full recipe to reproduce this problem.  You don't
> invoke cmdproxy from the command line, do you?

Put this on .emacs, or start with emacs -Q and evaluate it:

(setq find-program "c:/apps/gnuwin32/bin/find.exe")

Now, do a rgrep.

There is no problem if you use the backslash as the path separator.

>> Maybe we should remove the CreateProcess method and do everything
>> through the underlying shell.
>
> That's not a good idea if the shell is command.com, for sure.

Okay.

> For cmd.exe, the problem is a lesser one, but it still exists; e.g.,
> cmd.exe is limited to 4K long commands, while CreateProcess can handle
> 32K.

That's one more incosistency: a long command works fine, then you put
that command as part of a pipe chain and it stops working. I guess the
current cmdproxy approach is the lesser evil.