Subject: bug#67836: 29.1.90; map-y-or-n-p doesn't terminate when run in a kmacro in batch mode

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 10:38:47 -0500

1. Create a file "broken.el" containing:
(defun broken ()
  (map-y-or-n-p ""  #'ignore '(1)))
(execute-kbd-macro (read-kbd-macro "M-: (broken) RET"))
2. emacs -Q -l ./broken.el
3. Emacs properly executes the keyboard macro and errors.
4. emacs -Q --batch -l ./broken.el
5. Notice Emacs infinite loops, printing the map-y-or-n-p prompt repeatedly.

map-y-or-n-p in a keyboard macro terminates in non-batch Emacs because
it calls (ding), which terminates the currently running keyboard macro.
However, (ding) doesn't terminate keyboard macros in batch mode.  This
seems to just be an oversight.

A patch to fix this by making (ding) always terminate keyboard macros
will follow.

(BTW, when not running in a keyboard macro, map-y-or-n-p will error in
batch Emacs, but only because of a separate bug where it runs (listp
last-nonmenu-event) to decide whether to use menus, which returns true
since last-nonmenu-event is nil.  I may fix this separately.)

In GNU Emacs 29.1.90 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.15.12, Xaw scroll bars) of 2023-11-20 built on
 igm-qws-u22796a
Repository revision: dd8669b14b8a2b9a6d214a9d142dd8ac604f83d2
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Rocky Linux 8.9 (Green Obsidian)

Configured using:
 'configure --config-cache --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-gif=ifavailable'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  jane-fe-minor-mode: t
  jane-fe-jenga-minor-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Features:
(shadow emacsbug make-mode finder lisp-mnt autoinsert etags org-agenda
pcmpl-gnu canlock nndraft nnmh nnfolder term ehelp cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
flow-fill shr-color qp smiley gnus-cite gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp gnus-ml gnus-msg
disp-table nndoc gnus-cache gnus-dup mm-archive debbugs-gnu
debbugs-compat debbugs soap-client rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp
two-column evil-tests evil-test-helpers evil evil-integration undo-tree
evil-maps evil-commands evil-jumps evil-command-window evil-types
evil-search evil-ex evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core
evil-common cl evil-digraphs elp evil-vars latexenc fileloop textsec
uni-scripts idna-mapping uni-confusable textsec-check mail-extr wdired
doctor xscheme scheme apropos tramp-adb tramp-archive tramp-cmds
tramp-container tramp-ftp tramp-gvfs tramp-sh tramp-cache time-stamp
emoji-labels emoji multisession sqlite comp comp-cstr info-look flyspell
ispell pcmpl-unix emacs-news-mode reposition mode-local hippie-exp
vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir cus-start sql log-view
vc-fe vc-hg vc magit-imenu git-rebase vc-git vc-dispatcher face-remap
hl-line display-line-numbers tabify man misc dired-aux rect sort
sh-script treesit thai-util thai-word ucs-normalize mule-util completion
dabbrev external-completion org-element org-persist org-id org-refile
avl-tree generator oc-basic ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail
ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg
dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win
ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb
ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi jane-aide cl-print misearch multi-isearch
pulse bug-reference shortdoc help-fns radix-tree executable
url-http-ntlm ntlm hmac-md5 hex-util md4 network-stream url-cache
url-http url-gw nsm codeium find-dired goto-addr let-alist delsel
so-long jane-fe-read-feature pixel-scroll cua-base tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration tramp-compat parse-time iso8601 ffap
jane-merlin merlin-imenu merlin-xref merlin-cap merlin jane-async-merlin
jane-completion grep jane-common site-start jane-customization
jane-comint org-protocol jane-fe-project xref files-x jane-fe-menu
ecaml_plugin view gopcaml magit-bookmark bookmark image+ advice
image-file image-converter editorconfig editorconfig-core
editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch whitespace jane-auto-modes
vba-mode markdown-mode color jane jane-yasnippet jane-micro-features ert
ewoc debug backtrace jane-diff unified-test-mode shell-file core
core-buffer core-error jane-sexp jane-python jane-ocaml
jane-tuareg-theme tuareg tuareg-compat tuareg-opam skeleton flymake-proc
flymake warnings thingatpt smie caml-types caml-help caml-emacs
find-file compile jane-cr jane-codeium jane-align jane-deprecated
jane-smerge gnu-elpa-keyring-update jane-ocp-indent ocp-indent
jane-eglot yasnippet-autoloads swiper-autoloads htmlize-autoloads
eglot-autoloads editorconfig-autoloads codeium-autoloads jane-autoloads
jane-util ob-shell page-ext dired-x magit-extras project magit-submodule
magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect
magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff
smerge-mode diff diff-mode git-commit log-edit message sendmail
yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util
add-log magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor shell server magit-mode
transient edmacro kmacro magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm dash
gnus nnheader gnus-util text-property-search mail-utils range mm-util
mail-prsvr cl-extra help-mode windmove org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete
org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities time-date noutline outline
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol rx org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs format-spec gdb-mi bindat
gud easy-mmode comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring vundo modus-vivendi-theme
modus-themes pcase savehist saveplace cus-edit pp cus-load icons
wid-edit adaptive-wrap-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads
cyberpunk-theme-autoloads evil-autoloads exwm-autoloads helm-autoloads
helm-core-autoloads async-autoloads ivy-autoloads magit-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads finder-inf magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads
popup-autoloads url-http-ntlm-autoloads url-auth vc-hgcmd-autoloads
vundo-autoloads info with-editor-autoloads xelb-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 3200047 267481)
 (symbols 48 76910 1)
 (strings 32 371340 77106)
 (string-bytes 1 16177813)
 (vectors 16 163678)
 (vector-slots 8 3169215 359463)
 (floats 8 850 969)
 (intervals 56 550774 4661)
 (buffers 976 591))