Subject: bug#67830: closed (Re: bug#67830: 30.0.50; find-file completion sometimes unexpectedly omits directories)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:05:03 +0000

Your bug report

#67830: 30.0.50; find-file completion sometimes unexpectedly omits directories

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
67830: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=67830
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#67830: 30.0.50; find-file completion sometimes unexpectedly omits directories
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 03:04:16 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> tags 67830 notabug
> thanks
>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:43:28 +0530
>>
>> Completion is working as intended, AFAIU.  Have a look at
>> completion-ignored-extensions.
>
> Indeed.  This is not a bug, but expected behavior.

I'm therefore closing this bug report.

Subject: 30.0.50; find-file completion sometimes unexpectedly omits directories
From: Markus Triska <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 23:49:05 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

To reproduce this issue, please first create the directory ~/issue/.git,
and the file ~/issue/.gitignore, for example with:

    $ mkdir issue
    $ cd issue/
    $ mkdir .git
    $ touch .gitignore

Then, from your home directory, start Emacs with:

    $ emacs -Q

and do:

    C-x C-f ~/issue/.git TAB

As expected, the minibuffer displays:

    [Complete, but not unique]

and Emacs also shows the 2 possible completions:

    2 possible completions:
    .git/
    .gitignore

In contrast, when I do:

    C-x C-f ~/issue/. TAB

then the minibuffer prematurely completes it to the file:

    ~/issue/.gitignore

This is even though the directory ~/issue/.git exists, and also forms a
valid and expected completion of "~/issue/.".

The expected behaviour is the same as above, on the grounds that
"~/issue/." is a proper prefix of "~/issue/.git" and therefore should
never yield fewer possible completions.

Thank you and all the best,
Markus

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.2.0, X toolkit,
 cairo version 1.17.6, Xaw scroll bars) of 2023-09-11 built on
 mac
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.14.2

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/opt/local --disable-silent-rules --without-ns
 --without-dbus --without-gconf --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt
 --with-libgmp --with-gnutls --with-json --with-xml2 --with-modules
 --with-sqlite3 --with-webp --infodir /opt/local/share/info/emacs
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-xaw3d --without-imagemagick --with-xpm
 --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --with-lcms2
 --without-rsvg --with-xft --with-native-compilation=aot
 --with-tree-sitter 'CFLAGS=-pipe -Os -Wno-attributes
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk -arch
 x86_64' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -lfreetype
 -lfontconfig -Wl,-rpath /opt/local/lib/gcc12 -Wl,-no_pie
 -Wl,-syslibroot,/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk
 -arch x86_64''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY KQUEUE PDUMPER PNG SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM LUCID ZLIB