Subject: [bug#67824] [PATCH core-updates v2 0/9] Run builds in C.UTF-8 locale

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 17:30:11 +0100

Hello Guix!

This is an updated version of the patch set.  Changes since v1:

  • Change default value of #:locale in ‘gnu-build-system.scm’,
    since all the build systems except ‘gnu’ rely on it.

  • Remove customization of util-linux tests that was due to
    the lack of C.UTF-8 on our side before.

  • Skip failing GLib test, which should allow us to go further
    towards evaluating ‘core-updates’ (!).

  • Add useful x86_64-gnu patch in glibc (piggy-backed, not related
    to the issues at hand).

  • Include fix for <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/30948>.  Probably
    not strictly necessary but a good opportunity, especially since
    Gash/Guile & co. seem to leave zombies when building the early
    ‘mesboot’ packages (something Janneke and I discussed on IRC
    a couple of days ago).

Feedback welcome!

Ludo’.

Ludovic Courtès (9):
  packages: Remove reference to ‘glibc-utf8-locales’ in
    ‘patch-and-repack’.
  build-system/gnu: Change default locale to C.UTF-8.
  gnu: commencement: Remove ‘glibc-utf8-locales’ from ‘%final-inputs’.
  profiles: Use C.UTF-8 instead of ‘glibc-utf8-locales’ where possible.
  packages: Output and error ports are line-buffered in
    ‘patch-and-repack’.
  gnu: glibc-utf8-locales: Add the C.UTF-8 locale.
  gnu: glibc: Add patch for ‘ucontext’ on x86_64-gnu (GNU/Hurd).
  build-system/gnu: Turn PID 1 into an “init”-style process by default.
  gnu: glib: Skip test that fails with glibc 2.38.

 gnu/local.mk                                  |  1 +
 gnu/packages/base.scm                         | 24 +++--
 gnu/packages/commencement.scm                 | 31 ++++---
 gnu/packages/gawk.scm                         |  6 +-
 gnu/packages/glib.scm                         |  6 +-
 gnu/packages/linux.scm                        |  6 +-
 .../patches/glibc-2.38-hurd-ucontext.patch    | 87 +++++++++++++++++++
 gnu/packages/texinfo.scm                      |  7 +-
 guix/build-system/gnu.scm                     |  8 +-
 guix/build/gnu-build-system.scm               | 41 ++++++++-
 guix/packages.scm                             | 34 ++++----
 guix/profiles.scm                             | 33 ++-----
 tests/profiles.scm                            |  7 +-
 13 files changed, 206 insertions(+), 85 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/glibc-2.38-hurd-ucontext.patch

base-commit: e4013b31266b40dc9cb250c44b2088d3931cb3b3
-- 
2.41.0