Subject: bug#67823: closed (Re: bug#67823: 29.1; Multisession Variables documentation mistake)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 00:56:02 +0000

Your bug report

#67823: 29.1; Multisession Variables documentation mistake

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
67823: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=67823
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#67823: 29.1; Multisession Variables documentation mistake
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Adam Porter <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 16:55:39 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 29.2

Adam Porter <[email-masked]> writes:

> Oops, sorry.  Hadn't done this for a while so I just saved a diff
> straight from a Magit diff buffer.  :)

:-)

> Please see attached.  Thanks.

Thanks, installed on emacs-29.

1: 2023-12-15 ed8a8a5ba1607a37f0ed9cc11a77221d66946efb
   Fix symbol name in Multisession Variables examples

Subject: 29.1; Multisession Variables documentation mistake
From: Adam Porter <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 05:08:13 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I noticed that the manual section on Multisession Variables seems to
have a minor mistake in that one of the symbol names in the example code
seems to be wrong.  Please see the attached patch.

Thanks,
Adam

diff --git a/doc/lispref/variables.texi b/doc/lispref/variables.texi
index 5de5ac6efa7..b4c6d8ac5c3 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/variables.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/variables.texi
@@ -2971,7 +2971,7 @@ Multisession Variables
 
 @lisp
 @group
-(define-multisession-variable foo-var 0)
+(define-multisession-variable foo 0)
 (defun my-adder (num)
   (interactive "nAdd number: ")
   (setf (multisession-value foo)
@@ -2981,7 +2981,7 @@ Multisession Variables
 @end lisp
 
 @noindent
-This defines the variable @code{foo-var} and binds it to a special
+This defines the variable @code{foo} and binds it to a special
 multisession object which is initialized with the value @samp{0} (if
 the variable doesn't already exist from a previous session).  The
 @code{my-adder} command queries the user for a number, adds this to
@@ -3004,7 +3004,7 @@ Multisession Variables
 @var{package-symbol} isn't given, this will default to the first
 ``segment'' of the @var{name} symbol's name, which is the part of its
 name up to and excluding the first @samp{-}.  For instance, if
-@var{name} is @code{foo-var} and @var{package-symbol} isn't given,
+@var{name} is @code{foo} and @var{package-symbol} isn't given,
 @var{package-symbol} will default to @code{foo}.
 
 @cindex synchronized multisession variables
@@ -3012,7 +3012,7 @@ Multisession Variables
 Multisession variables can be @dfn{synchronized} if @var{bool} is
 non-@code{nil}.  This means that if there're two concurrent Emacs
 instances running, and the other Emacs changes the multisession
-variable @code{foo-var}, the current Emacs instance will retrieve that
+variable @code{foo}, the current Emacs instance will retrieve that
 modified data when accessing the value.  If @var{synchronized} is
 @code{nil} or missing, this won't happen, and the values in all
 Emacs sessions using the variable will be independent of each other.