Subject: bug#6781: emacs server with X11 build on OSX

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 22:22:05 +0200

(I'm Cc:ing this to bug-gnu-emacs to create a bug report.)

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 17:56, Leo <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> (make-network-process :name "server" :server t :family nil :service t
>> :host 'local)

> I have used the following in server-start as workaround:
>
>  (make-network-process :name "server" :server t :family 'ipv4 :service t)

If ":family 'ipv4" works and ":family nil" does not, that surely means
that Emacs is chosing ipv6. Does server.el work with the attached
patch?

I don't know whether that means that your system is set up only for
ipv6, or that it has both ipv6 and ipv4 and make-network-process is
selecting ipv6 for `localhost'. In any case, server.el / emacsclient.c
are not adapted to ipv6, so forcing ipv4 seems right for the moment
being.

    Juanma

=== modified file 'lisp/server.el'
--- lisp/server.el	2010-05-29 23:50:47 +0000
+++ lisp/server.el	2010-08-02 20:16:16 +0000
@@ -564,5 +564,5 @@
 		       ;; The other args depend on the kind of socket used.
 		       (if server-use-tcp
-			   (list :family nil
+			   (list :family 'ipv4
 				 :service t
 				 :host (or server-host 'local)